How is it that the sex tape clips, filmed at production-level quality, were released the same day the trailer detailing the event was already on Vh1's website and had been televised?
To let many men tell it, they are experts at deciphering the intentions of women and wooing them towards a mutual attraction, but this confidence quickly disperses when it comes to discussion of sexual assault.
Although not a deal-breaker, Combs' history is still relevant in the sense of the message it sends to those unable to actually hear him May 10. There are more reasons to give pause and maybe even the side-eye to Combs' appearance than to applaud the selection.
American discourse demands that no one notice that being white gives people unearned advantages. It is long past time to admit that dominant groups do not prevail because their members are so exemplary but because the system is set up to ensure that they win even when they are mediocre.
We all started rocking our shoulders and swaying our hips to a natural beat and rhythm among the trees which connected all of us, women and nature in a deeply, moving, spiritual experience with the natural surroundings
Year after year in the United States, we have celebrated Financial Literacy Month in April. Yet it seems that we still lack a sufficient understanding of young people's experiences with and attitudes towards financial literacy.
The City of Chicago without a doubt would be my first love. That city has given me so much and it pains me to watch the turmoil and unrest brewing in our very own country. What can we all do to change this?
A survey released this month by the Council for Economic Education found that fewer than half of states require an economics course as a high school graduation requirement, and only 17 states require a personal finance course. Fortunately, I was already armed.
College is an exciting time, but it's also an expensive time. With the average debt for graduating seniors hovering around $29,000 (according to CNN), every incoming freshman should be taking a crash course in College Finances 101.
Lupita Nyong'o was crowned People's Most Beautiful this year. Here are the top 10 reasons she's so woman crush-worthy and inspirational.
A prosperous Nigeria would obviously be a huge win in the battle against poverty. Also, if Nigeria pushes past its hurdles and gets to where it could be, a blueprint will be lain for other African Nations to follow.
Schuette is widely misunderstood as being a case about affirmative action. It is not. In fact, it leaves in place Supreme Court law recognizing diversity as a compelling governmental interest and permitting carefully constructed affirmative action programs.
I love soul food and sushi. Eve's Bayou and Gone with the Wind. Josephine Baker and Audrey Hepburn. Kanye West and Maroon 5. Some will accept it, some won't, but most importantly, I do.
Those of us who are staunch advocates of HBCUs must not allow our support to impede a critical, yet objective analysis of what these institutions must do to become more competitive and responsive.
Affirmative action has helped to provide the diversity that provided truth, even if not perfectly. Until we had a more perfect route to telling the truth of who we are and who we could be as a nation we needed to have something else in place.
It takes a community working together to prepare for, respond to and recover effectively from the destructive forces of nature and other emergencies. Minority Health Month reminds us how important health equity is -- not just for minority communities but for our health and strength as a nation.
Taboo Yardies is an insightful documentary film on the pain and human rights violation of Jamaican people that shows that Jamaica is not ready to deal with this human issue.
How are you planning to count down the last few hours of 2009? Even if you can't make it to Times Square in New York City, you can still have a rousing celebration right in your very own home. The essentials: a few festive decorations (Party City, for example, sells New Year's Eve kits that include items such as party hats, horns, balloons and noisemakers); a signature drink (it could be champagne or sparkling cider); a great guest list; and some good food. Finger food is easy to make and to serve, because everyone can help themselves. Most warehouse chains such as Costco, Sam's Club or BJ's Warehouse sell a variety of ready-made appetizers, which cuts down on your prep time. All you have to do, then, is add a few personal homemade treats of your own. Following are a few easy recipes to keep the party going:
½ cup cranberry juice
1 cup raspberry flavored ginger ale
1 strawberry, top removed, sliced in half
Sprig of mint
1. Combine juice and ginger ale in a small pitcher; pour into champagne glasses.
2. Garnish with strawberry slice and mint sprig.
Makes 20 servings
Crunchy and sweet, these tasty sausage and cheese appetizers make great party food. Pair the fritters with sauces, dips or even salsa for a finger food everyone will love.
Vegetable or other cooking oil
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed, minced
1 cup milk, plus more if needed
1/2 cup canned corn kernels
1/3 cup chorizo sausage, diced small
1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese mixture
1. Preheat oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit in a large deep skillet.
2. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper (to taste) and sugar; add thyme and blend well.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk and egg until frothy. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
4. Add corn, chorizo and cheese; mix well.
5. To make the fritters, drop batter into hot oil by the large spoonful. Cook fritters in batches until browned all over, about 4-5 minutes total. (If batter seems too stiff, add a small amount of milk to thin.)
6. Drain fritters on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt to taste and serve immediately, or keep warm at low heat in oven until ready to serve. Serve fritters with mild salsa, jalapeno-flavored sour cream dip or spicy cheese dip.
Smoked Salmon Spread in Sourdough Bowl
Makes 20 servings
These easy party appetizers are quick to make and low-fat, too. The cream cheese and salmon mixture is presented in a bread bowl for an extra festive look.
2 (8-ounce) packages Neufchatel cream cheese
4 ounce package smoked salmon
1 teaspoon capers, drained
1 round loaf sourdough bread, unsliced
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives
1. Combine cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers in food processor. Process until blended thoroughly and smooth.
2. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut a circular section of crust off the top of the sourdough loaf. Pull insides out, and break it into bites that you will later use to dip into the spread.
3. Fill hole with salmon spread. Top with chopped chives as garnish. Serve with the pulled bread bites and additional bread or crackers. Substitution: Use a pumpernickel loaf for an even more savory treat.